Forget about data breach – what about my health, Mum!?!
It is easy for the Telecomm industry to say that concerns over health issues from 5G are baseless, fear-mongering and that 5G is totally safe. You may remember similar reassurances from the Tobacco Agency on smoking and drug companies on DDT and Thalidomide. When Marie Curie developed X-Rays, people bought the radiated water to wash their faces as it reduced ageing. That particular spin-off didn’t last long! More recently we have the US opioid scandal; Purdue Pharma directors have been accused of causing addiction and death while being aware of the risks of oxycontin. 200 deaths a week have been attributed to this drug.
Q. If 5G is safe, why are experts in the field, the scientific research bodies and industry worried?
For a start, Telecoms use SARS testing to claim safety for the devices but the SARS testing is an old and outdated system (papers from 1988 are online) and the measurements are taken “off-body” from a distance, not from on the skin or clothes (eg pocket, bag, tucked in bra et). There is no insurance company, including Lloyds of London, who will insure against potential health damage from mobile phones. See research findings here
2, 3, 4 and 5G Electromagnetic Radiation is man-made and not naturally occurring. A new 5G mobile phone will have around 128 antennae in each one, current phones have one possibly two. Think about sitting on the train, with everyone else on their phones around you – just do the sums! Also, damage isn’t immediately obvious with low-level radiation exposure, it can take up to 40 years for serious symptoms to manifest. We know to avoid the sun. The rays are radioactive and can result in skin cancers, we wouldn’t put babies outside in full mid-day sun yet many mothers have i-pads, mobiles and other devices around their children for much of the day due to the reassurances from the Telecom Industry that all is well.
NB we will still have the 2,3 and 4G frequencies alongside 5G. 5G is a totally different set of EMR’s (electromagnetic radiation)
In 2015, a body of respected scientists from around the world wrote to the UN, WHO and the UN Member Nations https://www.emfscientist.org/index.php/emf-scientist-appeal making their concerns clear.
“We are scientists engaged in the study of biological and health effects of non-ionizing electromagnetic fields (EMF). Based upon peer-reviewed, published research, we have serious concerns regarding the ubiquitous and increasing exposure to EMF generated by electric and wireless devices. These include–but are not limited to–radiofrequency radiation (RFR) emitting devices, such as cellular and cordless phones and their base stations, Wi-Fi, broadcast antennas, smart meters, and baby monitors as well as electric devices and infra-structures used in the delivery of electricity that generate extremely-low frequency electromagnetic field (ELF EMF).”
They specifically ask for the following to be implemented and have updated this appeal again in 2019 – no action has been taken at any time on any of the following points
Collectively we also request that:
1. children and pregnant women be protected;
2. guidelines and regulatory standards be strengthened;
3. manufacturers be encouraged to develop safer technology;
4. utilities responsible for the generation, transmission, distribution, and monitoring of electricity maintain adequate power quality and ensure proper electrical wiring to minimize harmful ground current;
5. the public be fully informed about the potential health risks from electromagnetic energy and taught harm reduction strategies;
6. medical professionals be educated about the biological effects of electromagnetic energy and be provided training on treatment of patients with electromagnetic sensitivity;
7. governments fund training and research on electromagnetic fields and health that is independent of industry and mandate industry cooperation with researchers;
8. media disclose experts’ financial relationships with industry when citing their opinions regarding health and safety aspects of EMF-emitting technologies; and
9. white-zones (radiation-free areas) be established.
The launching programme of 20,000 satellites to orbit the Earth and transmit from above (with Elon Musk launching satellites for this purpose this year) has begun. With the continuing proposed erection of additional masts and cells combined with the installation of antennae into pretty much anything that moves and most things that don’t, what chance do we stand?